Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Catching Up...

I had a fantastic trip to Vancouver last week. A great opportunity to catch up with old friends and family. I love this city.

Thanks Marni & Bev for making such a huge effort to make this happen. I can not believe it has been 15 years. I was made aware of how fortunate I am to have crossed paths with so many interesting, fun and caring people. You two rock! I can not wait to see you again and hopefully this time it will not be another 15 years!



My hosts were absolutely amazing. I have NEVER eaten as I did on this vacation. Fine dining was where it was at. This school friend and I have ALWAYS picked up from where we last left off. So thankful for this unique and sincere relationship. There is never a moment of silence and in the rare case there is we are typically thinking about the same thing. I swear she can read my mind. She has made such an effort to know me ... and for that I am thankful. I love you E!!!!



It had been 4 years since I last saw my grandparents. These two people have been such a huge influence in my life. My grandmother does not have a harmful bone in her body. She has ALWAYS taught me to accept what life brings you. To grab hold of each day and make it as good as you can. She loves poetry and has written many poems in her lifetime. She is the queen of inspirational quotes and poems. One I will never forget which I remember seeing in her house for a VERY long time is:



It now sits in her room in the care home where she lives daily with a smile on her face. She is no longer the woman I remember. She has been fighting dementia for many years and although it has created a mask, she continues to show us and the staff just how loving she is. This woman had fun no matter what she was doing. I remember having bubble fights with her while we would wash the dishes, seeing her with bubbles hanging from her chin! I remember how much she loved to dance the chicken dance. I remember the stories she told us from her childhood. I remember how she always had a smile, a hug and kind words for me. It is truly amazing to think they have known one another for 79 years, married for 70. My grandfather's love for her is evident in the way he looks at her and how he insists to faithfully see her each and every day. My heart melted when he said "I have been a lucky man ... to be married to her ... I could not have been blessed with a better wife, and mother for my children."

Thank you grandma and grandpa for being amazing grandparents. My grandfather continues to support me to this day. He calls me to check on me. We have spent up to 45 minutes chatting and laughing together on the phone. He makes tapes of himself singing, and telling stories of his childhood for my kids. This is one cool man! A person I will always cherish. I love you grandma & grandpa!




Goodbye Vancouver! Until the next time! :)




2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You are so lovely. An inspiration, to say the least. I am no better than a pigeon without you.

Unknown said...

Wow, looks like a wonderful trip.