Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Emotional Day!


S had his kindergarten celebration today. I knew I was feeling a little sad about it being over but thought I'd be able to fight through it...well...the tears started flowing during the first song they sang. By the very end there was not a dry eye in the room. His teacher was such an awesome match for him, she was so understanding of him and his temperment which made things easy on me. She helped him grow so much, encouraged so many positive relationships and taught him many valuable skills in such a fun way (I don't really think he realized he was learning :) ). She ended the program today with a slideshow played to music of pictures throughout the year. It lasted for about 10 minutes and gave us such a great visual of what the year looked like...that alongside some very moving music and most of us were trying to focus through the tears, she even got Preston with it. It was obvious how attached she had become to these kids over the past year. I am so proud of S...what he has accomplished this year...trudging off to school even when things were tough - he got there every single day and received a certificate recognizing his perfect attendance. He has learned to read and write (still need to work on that spelling ;) ). He said his favourite thing about kindergarten was singing and he wants to be a nurse when he grows up, that or a computer worker. We got a fabulous me book with a collection of works from throughout the year. I'm going to miss kindergarten and the innocence we are leaving behind. Thank you to his great teachers and their ability to ensure a positive start to the journey.

1 comment:

carol said...

I would swear we had the same morning if I didn't know we lived in different towns! First song, tears here too. You would think I would be used to it, he's my 3rd kid through kindergarten...and he's not even my last! LOL But he's the most challenging and I know that next year is the end of being a little kid and starting a new chapter as a big kid with full day school everyday.

Even his teacher choked up at the end.

Carol Haney